Monday, February 22, 2021

Thoughts on fasting


Our Lord fasted.  We his followers should too.  In fact, it is a good and noble thing for all people of good will to do, as well.  The spiritual and psychological effects of fasting are very positive, as I can attest to in my own life when I do it. (And I will be the first to admit I should do it more than I do.)  When I fast, like I did on Ash Wednesday , I am able, since I have emptied /denied myself, to be more attentive to my own limitations, and the needs of God and others. 


Church law currently requires only two days of fasting per year; Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.  Compared to the regulations of years past, and the regulation still in force in other parts of the Christian world, and in some other world religions, this is pretty lax.  I think most of us could afford to do more than this minimum.   Perhaps we could start by trying to do it once a week during Lent, and maybe a few other times throughout the course of the year?  It is up to each of us, but considering Our Lord fasted for 40 days, 2 days seems a little unambitious for a devoted follower of Him.


Finally, one often hears in modern Catholic sermons this time of year, and maybe in other denominations as well, that we should, instead of fasting from food, “fast” from gossip, selfishness, etc.  Be careful and discerning when you hear things like this.  It is pretty clear throughout the Scripture (and the dictionary) that fasting meant /means abstaining from food and drink.  We should not minimize this counsel and command from the Word of God.  Fasting from food/drink, and refraining from other bad things, are not mutually exclusive.  We can and should do both.



No comments:

Post a Comment