Thursday, August 10, 2017

Be not afraid


There is anxiety all around the world these days with the threat of North Korea, which is adding to the already existing trouble spots in other areas, such as the Middle East, parts of South America, and Africa.  Even in western European countries, the threat of terrorist acts remains high.   Here in our own country, we continue to see lives cut short by violence and drugs.  It is easy and understandable to a certain extent to feel anxious and afraid in the times we live in.

However, if we are rooted in the truth and love of Jesus Christ, we truly have no reason to fear!

The phrases “Be not afraid” and “Fear not”, together, are in the Bible over 100 times!  Let us look at a sampling of these:



Do not fear, for I am with you,
    do not be afraid, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with my victorious right hand.   Isaiah 41:10



Then you will prosper if you are careful to observe the statutes and the ordinances that the Lord commanded Moses for Israel. Be strong and of good courage. Do not be afraid or dismayed.  1 Chronicles 22:13



But immediately Jesus spoke to them and said, “Take heart, it is I; do not be afraid.”  Matthew 14:27



Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid.  John 14:27



I hereby command you: Be strong and courageous; do not be frightened or dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”  Joshua 1:9



Even though I walk through the darkest valley]
    I fear no evil;
for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff—
    they comfort me.   Psalm 23:4

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
    whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold[ of my life;
    of whom shall I be afraid?   Psalm 27



Be strong and bold; have no fear or dread of them, because it is the Lord your God who goes with you; he will not fail you or forsake you.”  Deuteronomy 31:6

For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.  Romans 8:38-39


“Be not afraid” was one of, if not the signature line of the papacy of Saint John Paul II.  In his very first homily as Pope, he had this to say,  Do not be afraid, open wide the doors to Christ.”     He touched on this idea again when he came to Baltimore in 1995,  There is no evil to be faced that Christ does not face with us. There is no enemy that Christ has not already conquered. There is no cross to bear that Christ has not already borne for us, and does not now bear with us.”    There are many more examples of him touching on this theme, but I will just give one more.  He said one time, “Do not be afraid. Do not be satisfied with mediocrity. Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch.”

This last quote is interesting.  The Holy Father asked us not to be afraid to be excellent people.   He asked us not to be afraid to live full lives with full personalities.   He asked us to be the best we can be.   He knows fear holds us back from all these things.   And he knew, and told us so, that to overcome fear was impossible without a relationship with God who created, redeemed, and sanctified us .  The Father created us.  The Son redeemed us.  The Holy Spirit sanctified, and continues to sanctify us.

Developing our relationship with God is the key to overcoming fear.  We read in all those beautiful verses above, and in others throughout the Bible, about there not needing to be afraid if we know God is with us.  But to really believe that, to really, truly believe with all our heart that we need not be afraid, we first need to take, so to speak, a “leap of faith”, and let God in, so he can show us who he truly is.  Only then can we begin to know (faith), trust (hope), and love (charity) him.    There is no other way to overcome fear other than through getting to know, trust in, love, and serve God.   Fear will ultimately win if we try any other way.

So do not be afraid.  Abide in God.  Seek his will, and do your best to do it every day.  Do this, and peace will come into your hearts, a peace that nothing, and I mean nothing, not even a threat of something as big as a nuclear war, will overcome you.   Let your children come to know God through you and they, too, will not succumb to fear.

Joseph most strong, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment